Alumni Spotlight: Sarah Hoare

In this Alumni Spotlight we hear from Sarah Hoare, accomplished actress and Morley Alumni. Known for her roles in Chewing Gum (2015), Black Mirror (2011) and Semi-Detached (2019) in this article she discussed her experience at Morley and how it helped her and offered her a different route into her career. Sarah will be doing a live talk and Q&A via Zoom on 21st April, book your free place here.

Sarah Hoare

‘I studied at Morley College London  for a year on the Access to Higher Education: Acting course following my departure from sixth form. I knew that I did not want to go to University but I also knew I did not want to stop learning and I wanted a course with higher practical content and that is how I discovered Morley.

Morley is a very special place with an incredible history. From the College building at Waterloo to the teachers, the people I met and worked with, to the celebration of work through the concerts and exhibitions in the lobby and Morley Gallery. I always felt it was a warm and nurturing space for creativity.

The acting course inspired me and helped me to grow as a person and an actor. It was challenging where I needed pushing out of my comfort zone and encouraging where I had met resistance before. My tutors were supportive and interested in my personal growth. The Head of Drama at the time, Dominic Grant, who also works as an actor, is one of the most dynamic, enthusiastic and hard-working people I have ever met. I always enjoyed his lessons and learnt so much. I took so much from my time at Morley that has helped to develop my own career in acting.

The Drama Studio at Morley College London is a fantastic space with versatility and is a great space to experiment, create and perform. During my time there I was exposed to Restoration Comedy, mime, improvisation and Shakespeare as well as many modern texts. 

A highlight from my time at Morley would definitely be playing ‘Jem’ in To Kill A Mocking Bird.  We were encouraged to produce our own work too and after a while  I became part of a group of past and present students who got together and formed a theatre company. We went on to perform at the The White Bear Theatre.

I enrolled at Morley straight from school and I found I really benefitted from working with people of different age groups and backgrounds. This experience pushed me to work harder and achieve the goals I had set myself and significantly developed my confidence and social skills.  Morley College London is a great establishment to experiment and discover a new hobby or skill and  to explore curiosity and creativity. It  is also an incredibly welcoming and inspiring place full of very talented and knowledgeable people and it is a brilliant place to learn more about yourself, your capabilities and develop the foundations on which you can positively enhance your life and carve out a career for yourself. Morley is an amazing place for learning and I highly recommend it.’

If you’re feeling inspired by Sarah’s testimonial, check out some drama and acting courses below;
BTEC HND Performing Arts
https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/courses/course/btec-hnd-performing-arts-acting/btec-hnd-performing-arts-acting/
Classical Acting for Contemporary Performer
https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/courses/course/acting-shakespeare-2/classical-acting-online-plus/
Acting for the Camera
https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/courses/course/acting-for-camera-2/acting-for-camera-2/