Showcase of January’s #creativechallenge

At the start of January, we once again challenged you in our #creativechallenge. We asked you to push yourself to think outside the box and get creative with the theme of Horizon.

We have been really inspired by the work submitted, it certainly made the judges decision very difficult, and are thankful for everyone who put in the time and effort to enter our challenge.

With work ranging from Poetry to Music, Paintings and more, we hope you enjoy this showcase of talent in and around Morley!

Baltic Skies 2 – Paul McKee

I am privileged to teach painting on cruise ships and I experience dramatic seas and skies all over the world. This painting is inspired by the experience of a sunset on the Baltic Sea, as we left St Petersburg. The horizon was constantly changing as the sun set through a stormy sky.

My Horizon – Fiona Legh-Ellis 

This painting is my two-year cancer experience. 
Inspired by watching out the window and waiting for the sun to rise on the horizon. 
I have tried to portray the surreal, slightly out of perspective, clock-watching confusion of the cancer journey.   
7am was the time I turned up for each surgery. 
The blanket holds the names of staff who cared for me. 
The path leads through the endless waiting: appointments, diagnoses, results, pain relief, chemo, brain fog, healing scars, hair growth, physical adjustment, emotional process. 
Through the gate is tomorrow: a park with the sun rising over the horizon.
To see more from Fiona, check out her Instagram

Horizon musing.

In the haze dazzling on the horizon,
I see in a half doze
A seagull and I wonder……
If you were a bird-
You couldn’t be frightened of heights,
Could you??
Think cool.
Cool and airy.
Up on and up-draught
Down on a down-wind
Circling on air currents
How high could you go before ……… before?
Before you thought, that’s enough
Enough air between you and the earth.
Could a bird just fly upwards like a rocket
Or would gravity always pull you back?
To ground.
Could you feel the unseen power drawing you in?
And still feel free to be bird?
OR WOULD YOU STILL be frightened of heights?

Horizon Musing – Luciana Teuma

I have always found ‘Horizons’, that place where sky meets sea or land, really mesmerizing.I wrote this poem when a seagull in the distant horizon caught my eye with his whirling and diving. In a semi- hypnotic state this poem, which is really a long question, almost wrote itself as I became absorbed in wondering about the seagull’s existence.

Moonlight. Horizon – Gail Altschuler

My moonlight paintings are inspired by the night landscape and by a radio program on the significance of the new moon across many cultures. Lights and shadows, moonlight and night lights, creating the horizon line on the canvas, through the exploration of colours and textures overlapping and scoring through the layers. 

To see more from Gail, check out her Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Website

Hope on the Horizon – Caroline Gibbons

Inspired by a need for HOPE during a socially distanced walk at Cliveden during December 2020.

Gunther Considers a Harley – Bernard Puckett

This picture comes from the 49(7*7*) work created in Lockdown 1. It show Gunther Herbst considering new horizons. Gunther is our Life Drawing Teacher.

To see more from Bernard, check out his Facebook

Horizon 

The damp sand the freshness of the ocean
the beautiful sound of the waves crashing.
The wind whipping.

Her life was nothing but chilling abuse.
She dreamt of this day.

A rush of cold air slapped her face, she
smiled. 
She squeezes her toes together forcing
sand out of them, god that felt so good.
She was finally free.

A shiver of excitement flies up her spine, up
to her brain igniting every brain cell.

How glorious she felt in that moment. 
Anne  knew she was going to be ok.

How magnificent this Horizon actually was
it was

Horizon – Chyna King

Reference Image of Camber Sands (not artists own)

Locked down garden gnome – Dilys Gane

The garden gnome generally has broad horizons. He loves to wander far and wide, pottering about and meeting his mates. Now his horizons have shrunk  to the fences of his own garden where he sits on his toadstool, alone , unoccupied.

Materials: recycled mild steel.

A tree of life – Barbara Kentish Barnes

It was taken in the Harbor Island, Bahamas. Its incredible resilience and ability to survive any adversity that life throws at it, even if it means growing in the salty water, is hugely inspiring. I wanted to share this photo not only because it shows a beautiful horizon behind this incredible tree but because we all need a bit of encouragement and positive inspiration at the moment. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do.

To see more from Barbara check out her Website

City Horizon

A quick lunchtime stroll –
And a break from her desk.
Was all that she needed,
To come back refreshed,
To expand her horizon
Was within her power –
She would see London’s sights,
In under an hour.

Along streets,
and through alleyways,
Past many blue plaques
She saw great London landmarks,
Had a chance to look back
At history and heritage –
Then up Ludgate Hill,
Where St. Paul’s Cathedral
Stood. Silent and still.

Soon, a flutter of feathers,
Was heard in the street,
With shouts, and confusion
And fast pounding feet.
A boy was chasing pigeons
Across the wide square,
And shaking a stick at them,
High in the air.

They fled from his kicking
Time and again,
That small pigeon flock
Of about nine or ten.
Until, forced to retreat
And flee for their lives,
The flock had now dwindled
To just four or five.

“I’m going to get them!”
The boy yelled to the world,
As four more pigeons fled,
With grey wings unfurled.

They dispersed
in sheer terror –
Fully flummoxed,
Punch drunk,
No escape – for here
Their horizon had shrunk
To ledges and rooftops
surrounding the square,
That grey granite ground
They had once loved to share.

Now, one pigeon was left,
Alone in the square,
His pigeon companions
Were no longer there.
He stumbled along
With an injured left wing.
He wanted to coo.
He wanted to sing,
But then, he was kicked
Right down to the ground,
And lay there, just trembling,
Not making a sound.

She watched the boy leave him,
Alone and half dead,
A small pool of blood had formed
Beside his soft head.

The boy and his mother
Went on their way
To seek out more pigeons
To bully, that day.

She would have to seek help
For the poor pigeon there,
Injured and trembling,
Alone in the square.
But her lunchtime was over,
And she couldn’t leave him,
So she opened her handbag
And lifted him in.

Once back in the office,
She placed him near her desk,
He had milk and some crumbs
From the sandwich she’d left.
The office was busy,
He was hidden from view,
He made not a sound,
So nobody knew.

He seemed to be sleeping,
She was typing away –
Reports, memos, seminars,
So busy that day.
She glanced at the clock,
Stretched, and stifled a sigh
Her boss, fresh from meetings
Had just passed her by.

But what of the pigeon?
Could he go on the tube,
And back to her flat?
Would her landlord approve?
What would the others say,
If she took him there?
Would they all object, or
Would they even care?

The telephone rang.
She answered the call
With one eye on the pigeon,
Asleep by the wall.
She had still more to do,
With typing reports,
And notes on the
Financial webinar course.

Outside, it grew dark,
Street lights flickered on
Glancing round, she saw
That her colleagues had gone
home for the evening –
for a meal, or a show,
to meet friends for a drink,
But, who could know?

She tidied her desk,
Closed her laptop down,
Looked out at the lights
Of the darkening town,
She put on her coat,
And straightened her chair,
Then made room in her bag
For the poor pigeon, there.

She lifted him carefully
From his place near her desk,
Safe in his comforting
Newspaper nest,
Then she glanced at the clock,
It was six twenty-five
And, she saw that the pigeon
Was alert and alive.

He travelled by tube
With her, back all the way,
And her flat mates were thrilled
That a pigeon would stay
As their own special pet,
Who brought happiness to
Each person he met, and
Each person he knew.

Pigeons helped us in wartime,
Saving thousands of lives,
And, like us, today,
They just want to survive.
So, leave pigeons in peace,
Don’t chase them away,
For kindness to pigeons
Will brighten your day.

City Horizon – Sylvia Browning

My poem, entitled City Horizon, is based on an actual incident which took place one lunchtime in the city, when I was shocked to see heartbreaking abuse of pigeons taking place.
Pigeons saved thousands of human lives during both World Wars, as messengers, and 32 carrier pigeons were awarded the PDSA Dickin Medal for their outstanding wartime service and bravery.  Tragically, pigeons are now relentlessly persecuted, and their vital wartime service has been overlooked.  I want to bring back kindness to pigeons, and give them back the respect they so richly deserve.

Felix at Bamburgh – Caroline van den Brul

Last summer I attended an inspirational adult leaning collage course. Since then I have tried to capture moments of light in my life using newspaper, magazines and glue. This collage, of my grandson on Bamburgh beach, encapsulates his and my joy in being in Northumberland with its wide open spaces,  where sea and sand meet huge skies, where castles  dominate the landscape just as they have done for hundreds of years.

To see more from Caroline, check out her Website

Pomegranate

Everything now is
stained with hope,
the juice of possibility.
Ripe pomegranate blush.
New mornings open
while we hold our breath;
vermilion on our far horizon.
Even rain delights me now:
soft amber jazz percussion.
How do I live with all this
sudden brilliance?
I stay awake all night,
longing for the salt;
the everyday enchantment.

Pomegranate – Sue Lewis

My response to the theme of Horizon was to anticipate the bright new future we all so desperately crave after almost a year now of this crippling pandemic. I envisioned the good news about the vaccine as sunlight on the horizon and used the imagery of a pomegranate – itself a symbol of fertility and abundance – to allude to this. The idea of sunrise on the horizon is vividly suggested by the use of colour in the poem.

To see more from Sue, check out her Website

Oh My Days – Kate Raison

It is a song I wrote about getting through tough times and coming out the other side.
I also compiled a simple video to go with it. I have been studying guitar at Morley with Geoff Raggett which helped me to get to grips with even attempting to write!

To see more from Kate, check out her SoundCloud and Instagram

Rembrandt different light – Richard Mittens

The master Rembrandt I thought I’d take this opportunity to paint the master himself. To gain more understanding of paint Oil movements, i’ve gained a lot of information on Rembrandt methods  from  the Internet’s making sure that I keep my own style.

250×300 cm Tempera Oil paint on canvas 

Sunrise in the City – Natasha Valentino

Is based on can we make space for nature? What impact do we have on nature and can we look up to the skies and see how important it is. So Sunrise in the city my piece for horizons is based on just that looking for nature, looking for peace in a busy world before it looks for us. 

I am very interested in entering my photography for your event. I focus mainly on horizons and landscapes at the moment in my photography and I am hoping one day to be able to exhibit my work. I have attached a photograph that I took at sunrise over the city, its completely natural with no amendments. 

To see more from Natasha, check out her Instagram

A straight line between sky and sea – Yvonne Cavens

This is my horizon. A straight line between sky and sea. Inspired from imagination The snowflakes to create depth with touches of shades of blue. Its simple but chic. There is a tall ship in the Horizon. I always think when I sit on the beach looking out towards to sea what it might be to sail away. A calm sea with easy sailing and a turquoise blue sky with few clouds. The sounds of sea birds and the smells of brine. I usually specialise in painting pets and animals but I enjoy painting other styles such as digital Landscape. 

To see more from Yvonne, check out her Instagram

The Horizon, Richard Hallam

A modern fairy tale that introduces the young to the big themes in life: What is it to be engaged in something meaningful? Should one look beyond the confines of the familiar world that surrounds one? How much do fears hold one back? The temptation to go for the easy option. Wondering where our choices lead in the end.

The Light Gets In – Margo Walker

In 2020 I started painting small abstracts, experimenting with layering colour and using collage, texture and marks. Frequently I found myself drawn to horizons, where the mind finds space to meditate and dream. My sketchbook piece, “The Light Gets In”, started as an exploration of colour, with layers of paint added and scraped away. The final result evokes a memory of place: the landscape of my childhood, where I could look across the Firth of Forth to the lights of Edinburgh in the distance. The horizon is a liminal space, a space where the mind can wander, a space to discover something new, a space of letting go.

Lincolnshire Landscape – Jill Shillito

Feeling in need of inspiration for a watercolour painting I searched out some poetry. 
Tennyson was born and brought up in the village of Somersby in the Lincolnshire Wolds, so he was familiar with the big skies, low horizons and wide level fields of the county.

I am acquainted with the Lincolnshire countryside so the following stanza conjured up the image for my painting:

On either side the river lie
         Long fields of barley and of rye,
         That clothe the wold and meet the sky
…..

Horizon – Thomas Carabine-Khoulfi

Was created to show the hope to a better horizon.  Furthermore to show that spreading and sharing can be positive such as love, hope, trust, support and care. Words like positive, contagion, spreading have healthy aspects in some ways and not just all the negative things that are linked with them at the moment. Valuing all the positive things in life right now,  focussing on them and nurturing them. The concept idea for the animation superhero (NHS) saving us and the vaccine our cure. The ending of the animation fades out to a hazy white vague future which we all are unsure of but live with hope…

Crawling already baby seeking new horizons – Dawn Kalu

“During  Lockdown  life went on. There was a funeral to attend and two babies born. The usual joyful first meeting with new babies was postponed. I am glad to see whatsapp and instagram photos but it is not the same. Before you know it they are crawling already. So I made my eggbox baby.”

Materials: wood base, egg box, fabric  21 X 19 x 9cms

Deadly Horizon – Murray Rowlands

It is more than 80 years since the battle of Britain was fought over the skies of Morley and the whole of the South of England.

Morley has a link to these events. A former Vice Principal Denis Richards wrote an authoritative book about “The Few” and the life and death battle taking place in British skies in July, August and September 1940. There is another link between New Zealand and Morley. The daughter of The Agent General for New Zealand William Pember Reeves, Maude Blanco White, was Principal of Morley in the 1930s. Her other claim to fame was having been one of H.G.Well’s mistresses. 

I have just written a new biography of Air Marshal Keith Park a legend who is widely regarded as the principal architect of Fighter Command’s victory in 1940. My association with Morley was as a Director of Humanities.

Microcosm – Jonathan Rogers

Inspiration came when cutting up an old portrait to make a collage. Looking more closely at one of the tiny pieces, no bigger than a matchbox, I was intrigued by the appearance of an abstracted landscape suggesting the sun setting over the horizon, hidden in plain sight within the original painting, but not apparent to the viewer. I repainted this small fragment into the much larger painting that I attach here; it reminds me how much beauty there is around if only we stop to look more closely.

To see more from Jonathan, check out his Instagram and Website

The First or Last Moment – Keisuke Takeda

My name is Keisuke Takeda who is a painter also an art student. I would like to apply my installation artwork to ‘Horizon’.

The work is called ‘The First or Last Moment’ which is inspired by a poem ‘A Day in the Forest’ written by Hermann Hesse. The poem speaks to us how beautiful the world is. In the poem, A man could feel that when he was dying caused by no anxiousness of his future, any longer. Though, I rearranged the poem of few words and situation. His situation of the last moment for his life that changed to his first moment of horizontal birthday. The artwork denotes that human beings could find the life illuminations in the world, even now, and I believe. 

To see more from Keisuke, check out his Instagram, Vimeo and Website

Air Colours 5/10 – Judit Prieto

The Air Colours 5/10 is an original print. It is from the series Air Colours inspired by the air, and the horizon of the sky observing it during a flight. She created a series of different combinations of colours and proportions based on her feelings about the theme. The technique used is monotype using lino blocks on somerset paper.

To see more from Judit, check out her Instagram, Facebook and Website

Horizon

A trick of light leads the eye,
Three bands across our view:

Colour of straw, hair in the wind,
Honey shingle over spilling.

The sea, ripple upon ripple,
Blue glass fast fading far off

Into a line where it stops
The lilac edge of the world,

And the sky begins, or so it seems
To us watching, awaiting

The sun’s silent slip down,
Waves unfolding with a hiss.

.

Horizon – John Stephens

I first started to write poetry three years ago in response to a challenge set by my Morley Writing Workshop tutor Lana Citron, who set us the task of working out of our comfort zone by writing a piece of fiction, a scene from a play or a poem. 

The poem that I wrote surprised me and was well received by those who heard it. Tis inspired me to join Merton Poets, a local group, and also to sign up for a beginner’s poetry course.  Here I was able to explore disciplines of different poetic forms to try my hand at composition and to share my work. The course gave me confidence to continue writing, to join several other poetry groups and to present my work to a wider audience.

Since then I have continued to take other creative writing challenged to extend my creative horizons and to surprise myself. An so the inspiration for my poem Horizon arises from the Morley experience.

To see more from John, check out his Facebook

Beyond the Horizon – Gerogy Procter

I set out to create an imaginary space during Lockdown.  I wanted the viewer to feel that he or she could walk in to it with a feeling of exploration. It is a magical wintry landscape and there is an uncertainty of what’s around the next corner and beyond the horizon.

To see more from Georgy, check out her Instagram

EARTH – David Bowdler

EARTH is a meditative work that shows a journey around the Earth as viewed fron the ISS (International SpaceStation). I composed the music to accompany the video during lockdown, late 2020, early 2021.The work is in three sections, Land, Ocean and Nightfall. It combines as one complete piece,just over 21 minutes in length. The horizon is constantly in view but always changing. On thishorizon we can see how thin and fragile our atmosphere is.

“In fact, the thickness of the Earth’s atmosphere, compared with the size of the Earth,is in about the same ratio as the thickness of a coat of shellac on a schoolroom globe”. — Carl Sagan In ‘Wonder and Skepticism’, Skeptical Enquirer (Jan-Feb 1995).

Video used is from NASA archives and general permission is allowed for Non-Commercial use

Over the Horizon – Sara Holden

A View of the sea with rock and a Rose of Sharon or Hisbiscus flower and
the words “Over The Horizon” painted on driftwood board. Initially
inspired by a view
spied through rocks, there is added meaning because of the pandemic
overwhelming us.  The message is one of optimism on the other side of
the
horizon that the world will become a more sustainable planet where we
can all exist in happiness and safety.  The flower attracts butterflies,
bees and hummingbirds; creatures essential for human life for food, joy
and appreciation of nature and beauty.

To see more from Sara, check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Website

Saxon Shore – Sharon Cavalier

Close up detail

Image preview

Last summer i took part in About Estuary Festival 2021 journaling. I produced 18 en plein air paintings on the above mentioned sail cloth of my beach combing walks from Tankerton slopes. I wrote words about the view i was painting.  All the paintings were of the horizon at different times of the day.  I thought about the Horizon as i painted the ”Bright Light on the Horizon” – the Thames estuary wind farm at dusk.  HORIZON was all about the here and now – a meeting place – a place that cannot be divided or separated  – united/unity –  close possibilities – something in the air gathering – hope . 
The sketchbook culminated in a solo show called  HORIZON – Pop Up Gallery art show

To see more from Sharon, check out her Instagram

Edges – Jenny Waller

“Horizons exist at the edge of our vision and experience. In this piece, the central panel represents the patterns and rhythms of our daily lives, bright and clear. The horizon on the right is obscured by the noise of opinion and activity. But on the left, we can push the horizon to uncover new patterns with are rich and varied.”

To see more from Jenny, check out her Instagram and Website

Lockdown Landscape – Mike Liggins

This painting was made in January 2021 from preparatory sketches made in the previous months.  As a ‘landscape’ it does not in fact depict any actual location but is purely a construct of the mind, symbolising in paint the mental horizon generated by the protracted Covid-19 lockdowns.  As such it is deliberately bleak and, although this was in no way a conscious intention, it seems on completion to bear some similarity to the appearance of the devastated Western Front in WW1.   In that sense it may have achieved its purpose.

Oil on canvas  100 x 100 cm   2021

To see more from Mike, check out his Website

Abstract 23 (Beyond the Horizon/Evolution) – Caroline Morgan

The first abstract that I was happy with had a vibrant orange lower half, a vivid purple top half and a succulent red sun placed to the top left within the purple. It unintentionally took the form of an abstracted horizon. This piece has its roots in the first, particularly as regards the colours used but I hope is much less formulaic and full of the movement, texture and energy that I currently love exploring in my work, however it was the original “horizon” that first gave me the courage to experiment, take risks and the will to keep pushing forwards.

To see more from Caroline, check out her Instagram

Horizon – Nathanael Bailey

I was inspired to create this piece based on empowering others that things may look or appear a particularly way based on the position that we view things or where we stand. As well as short term and long term perceptions and sometimes things are not as bad as we believe, we just have to open our eyes and minds,to what can potentially be staring us in the face and that we are never too old to discover something new. Sometimes we have take a break, to realign and rediscover ourselves to enable us to appreciate what we have.

To see more from Nathanael, check out his Instagram

Raising my eyes. Collage Lockdown 1 – Sue Ellenby

A sketch a day in lockdown was initially the back view of my cat, but outside for my hour of exercise it reflected nature, park ducks and flowers, local murals and sadly the benches we weren’t allowed to sit on. Home life reflected watching the Briefings and Dominic Cummins, baking and parties by zoom. As lockdown loosened and our horizons could expand, with boots on I could go further and walk along a river in Kent and at last be allowed to sit down on the grass. Simple pleasures…expanded horizons of what to value.

Alison Furey

The quilt contains many naturally dyed fabrics, and other fabric remnants. The inspiration came from a pair of pink linen trousers which I upcycled. I overdyed this linen with onion skins and also dyed other plain cotton (first photo). I formed the quilt into flying geese variation blocks and sashed these with calico. I pieced the back using leftover blocks and fabric remnants. I hand-tufted the top, wadding and backing using matching embroidery thread (pink and gold). I added a gold binding.   The whole process took over 3 months.

To see more from Alison, check out her Instagram

Looking for – Betsabe Abigail Bastidas Cachimuel

We are living extraordinary times, every aspect of our lives is changing, and consequently we are changing too. However, even when most of the things seems negative or pessimistic, this is an opportunity to broaden our horizons, to dream again, to believe like a kid. There is a good place beyond the walls of our house, it is not tangible, but it is real, and we have to looking for.

I feel inspired to take this photo because when I listen to my nephews talking about their future, what they want to become, where they want to travel… that fills me with hope because they still trust in the tomorrow, and one of the biggest representations of it is a sunset.

Horizon – Eve Obrochta

The process of making my work was a compilation of photos taken during my daily walks while the lockdown as well as using older photos from the era before Covid-19.We are facing uncertain times so my idea was to combine images of the human interaction and daily simple pleasures.The digital collage speaks about hope for returned joy through the act of celebrating everyday life as the nations and communities.In my horizon I do believe and share with others that the future is not canceled!

To see more from Eve, check out her Instagram

The WatchOut! Tower – Sue Charteris

The WatchOut! Tower.   My response to shrinking horizons and feeling cooped up was to build this tower.  My inspiration was the watchtowers found at the entrance of underground tombs from China’s Han Dynasty( 206 B.C to 220  A.D).  I like the contradiction of them being ‘look outs,’ but mostly I am drawn to the aesthetic of the improbable architecture.  I just had a  small photograph from the Henan Museum to guide me but it gradually took on a life of its own above ground. 

To see more from Gail, check out her Instagram and Twitter

Horizon, beyond vision – Roger Boyce

I studied music at Morley in the 1970s; now retired, focusing on music. I recently enjoyed the orchestral conducting classes; interrupted for cancer therapy.

My Horizon inspiration manifested as orchestral music – my passion. Horizon inspires me to remember open spaces I have enjoyed: sea, landscapes and mountains.
It also inspired thoughts of aspirations. What do we aspire to become, or to do? Is there vision for the future? What is over the horizon?

Hence my subtitle “beyond vision”.

The Line where the Sky Meets the Earth – Emma Kentish

This is a short story called The Line where the Sky Meets the Earth.

I attended Lana Citroen’s creative writing class at Morley for a couple of years which were excellent. I read two of my stories for Morley Radio in the LitWit sessions.

The above story describes a child who is unwanted and disliked by her mother’s new boyfriend. The little girl decides to make her own way in the world. I wanted to describe how a child’s imagination can release her from the pain and humiliation of everyday neglect. Brave and imaginative, the child does not recognise the dangers waiting for her. 

I walk Alone – Sally Paffett

This painting represents the daily changes to the same lone tree on my one walk of the day. I wanted to explore the textures I could create with each layer as well as leaving white to showcase the detail on the earth. The tree almost looks like it’s glowing on the horizon and to me this exudes positivity, my aim was to make it hopeful and promising which is what painting has given me during this lockdown.

To see more from Sally, check out her Instagram and Website

wonderland

remember that vast deserted beach
stretching as far as the imagination
would allow the north sea rumble
our soundtrack a beach our canvass
daubed a different hue each day
a grand arena for games under the sun
whose glare lit up laughter screams
disputes over goals never scored
wickets not taken there were no rules
just the iron law of making things up
as we bumbled along in a week
alive here like humans long past
whose playful footprints like ours
scrunched the sand painted patterns

wonderland – Steve Nally

The poems flows from fondly remembered holidays at Reighton Sands on the expanse of Filey Bay.  Memories to lighten up lockdown and perhaps repeat one day.  And maybe get the ball over the line this time.

…then the wounded sky flew away – Susie Lonie

Life on Earth depends on a balance where everything fits in perfect harmony with its environment.  When something is removed, the whole ecosystem is threatened.  I have used a series of tessellations from simple shapes to more complex ones to represent the diversity of life and to demonstrate that perfect fit.  Meanwhile, global warming, deforestation and wildfires are changing the quality of the atmosphere, endangering many species, including mankind.  I imagined the sky, wounded by these man-made catastrophes, gathering up its precious children and flying off like a giant bird to find a new home.

My entry for the January 2021 Creative Challenge is a picture I created digitally using the skills I learned as an HND Ceramics student at Morley College.  Part of the course last term was “Surface Design” using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.  Both were completely new to me and terrific fun, offering opportunities to create art I could never have drawn by hand.

To see more from Susie, check out her Instagram

Horizon – Beverley Byrne

Morley College provided the primary inspiration for this short story.  Over recent years I’ve enjoyed architecture and creative writing courses at Morley and this dystopian tale unites  these passions.  I vowed not to write about the Pandemic. Yet the Morley Challenge made me consider our changing city and how buildings may be used in the future.   Throw in a touch of futuristic musing on a ‘virtual assistant’ with manic Mary Poppins syndrome and the Horizon Initiative was initiated.  

LOCKDOWN SKIES – Sam Enthoven

When I’m struggling to find the motivation for my government-mandated daily walk, or anything else, I have a secret weapon – the camera. It gets me out of the house and gives me a new and different attention to what is around me. For nearly a year now I’ve found that no matter how short or familiar the distance I’m allowed to go, there’s always something to notice and be inspired by.
When there’s nothing else, I’ve been looking at the sky.

To see more from Sam, check out Instagram, Facebook and Website

‘ You are the Sky ’ – an artist book by Caroline Fraser

In September 2020 I spent 14 days alone in Canadian quarantine, in order to visit my children.
The words of Pema Chodron ‘You are the sky, everything else is just the weather’ resonated
strongly with me during this period of fluctuating mood and emotions.
I made a small book containing these words with the limited artist supplies that I had carried in
my suitcase.
I had chosen accommodation beside the ocean as I knew that being able to see the horizon
would help me survive the experience.

To see more from Caroline, check out her Instagram, Facebook and Website

Zen Garden of Kent – Dayoung Yun

Inspired by St. Margaret’s Bay, Kent, I wanted to capture the Zen-ness of British country and seaside life during these turbulent times we’re in. Simplified field texture into traditional zen garden like lines creates the illusion of multiple horizon lines to the viewers. Energetic movements of rolling hills with big round bales dancing on top of them are like a gift from nature, the strength we need to get through today’s world, whereas timeless clouds in the sky provide the comfort, peaceful horizon created by breeze of calmness for our eyes and minds to rest at the same time.

To see more from Dayoung, check out Instagram and Website

Series of 3 – Anne Hearson

IT WAS ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS

Immersed in that lockdown feeling, I snapped this visual feast early evening in Mitcham, showing it really  doesn’t matter where you are in the world, as long as keep your  sensory awareness.

WHAT LIES BEYOND

Sitting in this hidden garden I found the  inspiration to  draw and paint this image.
My poor friend was suffering with covid invaded my thoughts
If we look beyond and think positively, we can move forward in our lives.

A BEAUTIFUL LIFE

This was just fun, fun, fun.I’m not sure what the intention of this acrylic painting was, however it diverted me from our present situation
I’d like it think it as the opposite side of the coin to covid. Subconsciously it shows a longing for change.

I am semi retired and enjoy both painting and writing.

NEBULOUS
Horizon is a place we have not yet arrived at.
A place of potential possibilities.
But in pandemic disrupted times the future is vague and uncertain.
The way forward blocked.
The future unclear.

Nebulous – Vanessa Esposito

Clocking Out

The sun slowly sets, another shift finished.
The sky saves up all of its best colours for the evening,
Beams proudly in shades of pink and gold.
The line between the sky and ground is harshly defined in the distance,
As I stand in ambiguity, neither day or night,
Between past and present,
Watching the day bury itself in a far away field.
Though there is nothing remarkable about this spectacle –
The horizon, mighty and consistent,
Resets itself as routine –
I stand still and watch it complete its final task,
A grateful bystander in the theatre of nature.

Clocking Out – Katy Hough

Inspired by daily lockdown walks, and the constant presence of sunrise and sunset photos on social media, I was interested in our fascination with this time of day, and how it demands our visual attention. I wanted to use the language of work and labour to highlight the routine nature of the start and the end of the day. Despite the horizon being very everyday, it still strikes us as beautiful – a peaceful, aesthetic view, that is available for everyone to see, feels especially precious in these times.

To see more from Katy, check out her Website

Fish Bone Glue – Orlando Cubitt

it is a  slow waltz inspired from lessons in Jazz Workshop and Jazz composition. This tune moves modally every 8 bars down a semitone, a simple idea, but it shifs the melody and phrasing subtly each time too. These changes keep us moving through the doldrums as we wait for the fish to come in.Inspired partly by the pace of Steve Kuhn’s Saga for Harrison Crabfeathers  but more lethargic.A performance take accompanies this piece but it is the composition itself that I am entering for the Morley showcase.

To see more from Orlando, check out his Instagram and Twitter

Bernie Spain gardens in Waterloo, by the Southbank. SE1 – Corrine Edwards

I live nearby.  Most days I walk through Gabriel’s wharf to check on Skylark Gallery where I show my ART.
I am a tree hugger and love the wild life in the area. Particularly the entertaining, chattering hedge sparrows and family of Crows which I often feed (with untreated peanuts in their shells) They get to recognise people. Often I stand and wait for them to fly down from the high buildings.
I video & photograph them on the beach by Gabriel’s wharf/OXO Tower.

I only noticed Crow in the photo later. Fantastic. Made me laugh.

To see more from Corrine, check out her Website

Tempest – Nicola Atchley

HORIZON” The Line that terminates the view.

“When the sea is worked up in a tempest, so that the horizon on every side is nothing but foaming billows and floating mountains, it is impossible to describe the agreeable horror that rises from such a prospect.”

Samuel Johnson’s “A Dictionary of the English Language” – an alternative interpretation.

My etching is in response to February 2020 the wettest on record with storms Ciara and Dennis.

To see more from Nicola, check out her Website

Jody Walker 

Im a midwife and part time personal trainer for postnatal women. I do painting and sketching as a way to stay focused and out of my head when im at home. This particular painting, that I have attached, was a way for me to connect to my homeland of Jamaica. Sunrise in Jamaica always looks so beautiful and peaceful. It is also my favourite part of the day. This painting was done to represent the 1st place I want to go as soon as we are able to travel again. 

Francesca – Nadia Nervo

Longing to be able to photograph people again in my studio.

To see more from Nadia, check out her Instagram and Website

Place – Dawn Codex

Mixed media collage painting on paper

The Egyptian God of the Horizon – Aker, represented rebirth and new possibilities. This piece was made in response to the urban environment and how the natural horizon can be obscured by fences, walls and buildings. Because of this we can be forced to face our internal horizon during times of isolation. According to the philosophy of Aker, looking into the internal horizon would mean accepting our current self and being grateful for all that we are in the present moment and simultaneously acknowledging our infinite potential and looking forwards and upwards to all the wonderful things that are to come.

To see more from Dawn, check out her Instagram, and Website

Horizon – Matt Hart

I have created a retro style London skyline, inspired by the synthwave music I have been listening to whilst running for my daily exercise during the UK lockdowns. When the first lockdown began in March 2020, I had just started a printmaking course at Morley College and was working on a linocut reduction that I never got to finish. This is my first ever piece created digitally using a stylus on a tablet and I have applied some of the techniques from my linocut, using blocks of colour in layers and ‘cutting in’ windows by hand.

To see more from Matt, check out his Instagram

Horizon of Life – Daniele Kieraite

Horizon is a word that has many meanings. To me, it is not only a line when Earth and the sky meet but also a phenomenon that occurs when you enter into the particular phases of your life. By diving into them, you have to leave something behind. This project is about a personal journey of leaving childhood and teenage years behind and embracing adulthood by moving from one country into another to create another transformation

Thomas Carabine-khoulfi

Colourful Horizon Together (illustration)

The inspiration in this art piece shows the Horizon partly magnified giving the concept of larger brighter better future to come.

The text is sitting on fresh green grass to show New life and growth. The Rainbow we are all familiar with “NHS” i believe ties the larger, brighter, fresh Horizon to come concept: Together as we are today.

View your Horizon Together (illustration/photograph)

The inspiration behind this art piece, View your Horizon. I believe a lot of us are feeling a uncertain Horizon at the moment, but everyday there is sunlight in front of us all, and we must try to see the light and focus on this and our Positives we all hold: Together.

To see more from Thomas, check out his Instagram

Potential Perfection – Lee Jenner

When the frame is warped, before the tapestry weaving begins, you can imagine that perfect finished tapestry on the horizon, blissfully unaware of the size of those waves that will inevitably rock the boat as you get closer to completing it.

To see more from Lee, check out her Instagram,

Gill D’Ambrosio

During lockdown we’ve had to focus on something positive to keep us going, believing there is light at the end of the tunnel. Watercolour painting has given me this challenge; a medium that requires hours of practice, to begin to understand its properties, and decision-making to produce a picture.
This painting illustrates my dream of going to such a place in the near future with a bright horizon, both literally and figuratively! The scene epitomises a happy place that, hopefully, we will all be able to enjoy when we can travel again to view such horizons that uplift our spirit!

To see more from Gill, check out her Instagram, and Website

Dander on the Astral Plane – Michelle Jensen

It always occurred to me how cross stitch has a very digital, pixelated aesthetic, so I wanted to design a cross stitch inspired by retro arcade games. These often feature a horizon and I wanted to incorporate that into the design. I was also thinking about how we have all found ourselves, in the current circumstances, living out our lives online. Our horizons seem to be experienced more frequently in the digital space but that doesn’t mean they can’t be as full, vibrant and as imaginative as before

To see more from Michelle, check out her Instagram

Today’s Icarus – Cathy Jacobs

A1 Paper, graphite, Art Graf
Sketch for a much bigger unfinished piece, plus details:
Inspired by a day in the Stockholm Archipelago when calm sea reflected shifting clouds evoking a dreamy atmosphere. Sea and sky meld. A string of islands on the horizon beckon. In this piece a plane’s vapour trail conjures something else: remembering those who risk all to make epic and treacherous journeys to find a better life. Driven by dire circumstance, today’s Icarus finds wings of another kind, the wings of hope.
Alternative title “Are we sleeping?”

Broadening Horizons – Hannah-Rebecca Findlay

There is beauty even in the rain… Not long into January 2021 on a Sunday afternoon, I took a walk through Richmond Park. For once I was not looking to take photos, but instead just enjoying the moment when I was suddenly caught in the middle of a rainstorm, and the perfect shot materialised. A shot worth getting soaked for!

Looking back at the image I am filled with hope that even on dark, difficult days, things will be better – there are always blue skies and sun on the horizon.

To see more from Hannah-Rebecca, check out her Instagram

Urban Horizon – Rebecca Thomas

This collection of vases is inspired by the urban horizon during lockdown. The view from my window is a vibrant city horizon, with office blocks and flats, rooftops, a university, football floodlights and the tops of trees. Its silhouette is always the same, while at street level COVID has changed how we live, work, shop and socialise. I wonder what will revert to the pre-pandemic norm, and what will change. The only certainty is the constant skyline.

The vases are stoneware with black and bronze glazes and range from 9cm to 27cm high with a cyclamen and Chinese money plant.

Making the First Move – Bridget Lane

Sometimes in life, there is a time when you have to make a decision that seems scary at first. 

This hand-woven tapestry is a response to one such moment. I wanted to illustrate the solitude before a new path and with it a new opportunity opens up in front of you.

To see more from Bridget, check out her Instagram and Website

Looking for the Horizon – Jen Greaves

I walk along the shore, transfixed by the turbulence. And marvel at the energy of the waves crashing against the rocks. The pounding, thundering, scrunching, the churn and the spray.

But I lift my eyes beyond the turmoil to the contrast of the calm and motionless horizon, where all is at peace.

Handmade porcelain pot. Inside, clear glaze.  Outside, decorated with unglazed cobalt oxide

To see more from Jen, check out her Instagram

View From My Window – Joanna Harris

This is a sterling silver necklace inspired by the view of the setting sun from my bedroom window. It is called ‘View From My Window’.
As you can imagine, this view has been so important over the last year, during this pandemic, and one which I am so grateful to share with my husband.

I have embossed pieces of silver to depict the hills on the horizon; these textures reflect the textures on tree bark and also the wild flowers that I see in the countryside around me. The swirling sky illustrates the wispy clouds and is made in the same way. 

The centre is the sun. When worn, the colour of the wearer’s skin shows through this part of the design and becomes the central focal point. 

This is my horizon and I hope you take pleasure from it too. 

To see more from Joanna, check out her Instagram, and Website

Are they really there? – Christopher Salter

The topic “Horizons” sparked a memory of my son once saying “A broadening of the horizons”. That sparked many more thoughts and images, about parenthood, and how “Horizons” has meanings ranging from exact scientific definition to metaphorical images. The essay reflects my interest in how metaphor is used in writing and speaking and builds on the practice and writing I did in Memoir Writing classes at Morley with Julie Garton. How well it does that, I leave you to judge.

Coil Brooches #1 and #2 – Sophie Martin-Glinel

What does ‘Horizon’ actually mean? One of its definitions is ‘the limit of a person’s knowledge, experience, or interest.’ It resonated with me and underpins my present submission.

Experimenting is inherent to designing and making inspiring jewellery. Pushing boundaries, or ‘broadening my horizons’, is not always comfortable but there is a magical moment when you feel you have hit on something special.

Here I have taken the industrial cable rolls that I see everyday on the industrial estate where I have my studio and decided to play with the shape. What happens if? … 2 new brooches were born.

To see more from Sophie, check out her Instagram, and Website

Moving Onwards – Alison Doubleday

Looking for a Horizon – Jane Curtis

Using the language of abstraction the painting evokes a sense of landscape/seascape. Space is ambiguous and line is used to divide the surface creating a simple geometric symmetry.  The shape of the canvas encourages the viewer to travel along the central line as if scanning a horizon.

Pink Horizon – Anne Marie Downey

My submission is a headpiece called pink horizon. My inspiration comes from the potential to turn into something nobody expected; whether that is ourselves or what we create. To start the process we need to see that horizon, no matter how far it may be from where we start.  The balls came from a charity shop and I used embroidery techniques to sew them on. The photo represents how the headpiece parallels my life-I wanted to visually represent the juxtaposition between my current everyday life, walking the dog, with my aspirations, my horizon, to one day study millinery.

To see more from Amo, check out her Instagram, and Website

Terra Australis – Joanne Oatts

40x40cm. Acrylic on canvas. During 2020, I created a ‘Horizons’ series – fond memories of horizons past, and hope of horizons future. My last trip overseas (Nov 2019) was to Australia. I wanted to capture everything I saw and felt on that trip in one painting. Every memory of each skyline, landscape and seascape there seems to be coated in shades of lemon, orange, magenta and Cerulean blue. In Latin, Terra Australis means ‘the South Lands’, and was what explorer Matthew Flinders named the country before it became Australia. This picture looks back to the ‘Terra’ from an ocean far, far away.

To see more from Joanne, check out her Instagram, and Website