The start of Owain’s operatic career

We are very proud of Morley Opera School student and baritone Owain Evans, and would like to congratulate him on being offered a Masters in Performance at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (GSMD) from September 2021.

Owain is a professional chiropractor, running his private clinic in Clapham, and he joined Morley College in 2018, studying at the Introduction to Opera Performance course, and later on the Morley Opera School. He has attended a number of other courses at Morley College, including the Advanced Singing Masterclasses, Singing Masterclasses in Lieder, Solo Singing and History of Opera.

“I’m very proud of this achievement and Morley and the Opera school staff team has been HUGELY instrumental in making this a reality!”

Owain Evans

We asked Owain more about his time at Morley and here’s what he had to say:

1) What have you enjoyed most about your course so far? 
I’ve been fortunate enough to be a student on many of the fantastic courses at Morley. Morley Opera School gives us as budding singers the opportunity to experience what it’s like to take part in an opera company, being assigned roles in various scenes and being guided through the learning of the role from a language, vocal technique and stagecraft perspective. It’s like learning “on the job” in a way and is as close as one can get to being cast in an opera while still being in the safe and nurturing environment of a college.
The teachers treat us like professionals and support our development. We also have incredible access to well-known industry professionals which is a huge privilege. 

2) What do you think makes Morley special?
I have always felt welcome, accepted and nurtured at Morley. As if everyone wants the best for me and wants to get the best out of me, there is a culture of encouragement and a feeling that anything is possible.  

3) What have you learnt and what will you take away from your course?
The combination of courses I have done at Morley have combined to make me a more well-rounded performer in my opinion. I started the Introduction to Opera Performance course as a fun thing to do, and less than two years later I was accepted at Guildhall School of Music and Drama to study for a Master of Performance in Vocal Studies. I don’t think it would have been possible without my time at Morley. 

4) Have you got any tips for making the most out of your time while studying?
Focus on a goal. It’s great to do something just for fun too, but if your teachers believe you have the potential and you feel you get better and better, then set a goal. Even if you think it’s ambitious, as it will help focus your studies and help you to make choices that align with that goal and help you choose the best direction of travel for you.
Make the most out your time by asking for help when needed, and throw yourself into it 100%. 

5) What are you looking forward to the most? 
Now? I am looking forward to walking through the front doors at Guildhall as a full-time Masters Student and focusing on my next goal of becoming a full-time Opera Singer. Wish me luck! 

To find more about Opera at Morley College London, head here