Never too old to learn

(Written by Community Learning at Morley, Edited and Published by Lambeth Adult Learning)

Yetunde came to the UK from Nigeria 15 years ago, and although she spoke English, she found English culture strange. She wanted to find the confidence to explore learning opportunities but was unsure if her age (late fifties) would be a barrier.

She began to attend the MySocial and Streatham Drop-in Centre, where she learned about an entry level community learning ICT course at Morley College’s Stockwell Centre. She says, “When I first entered the class, I was shaking as I didn’t know anything. The tutor really helped me feel calm, and she showed me how to use the calendar on my phone. Since then, I’ve never missed an appointment!”

Yetunde has now moved onto an Introduction to ICT Skills course and she is continuing to improveher skills and confidence. She says, “I can now email my family and friends in Nigeria, and also keep in touch with them over Instagram and Facebook. When I show my friends what I can do they are so surprised but also so happy for me.”

Yetunde is happy that she has made her first steps towards improving her IT skills. She says, “It took courage but it’s possible if you are bold and take it step-by-step. If I can learn, anyone can learn! I encourage anyone who is my age to study IT.”

Do you want to study with us?

We believe that it’s important for people to be kind to themselves and try to make the time to do things that are educational, rewarding and fun. Especially after going through a challenging time.

Morley in the Community offers a wide range of FREE** courses in community venues across Lambeth and at our Waterloo and Stockwell centres