Learner Story – Laurent Grimonpont

(Written by Community Learning at Morley, Edited and Published by Lambeth Adult Learning)

My name is Laurent and I am 32 years old. As a child I always had a smile on my face and really enjoyed life.

Four years ago, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I was overworking to support my family, my relationship broke up and I was prevented from seeing my son. At the time it felt that everything was against me and I would be stuck in a dark place. There were days I could not physically move.

I worked on rehabilitating myself, going to groups, seeing a councillor, training at a gym, eating healthier, etc. I was then able to talk to a careers adviser about my future. I have always enjoyed sharing my knowledge with others, teaching people how to play musical instruments as well as helping others with their English, ICT and French. I even taught my blind uncle how to use a laptop.

Teaching and helping others has always been something I have found rewarding, but I didn’t have any formal ICT or teaching qualifications. My adviser helped me to find Level 1 ICT and Award in Education courses at High Trees which I completed successfully. I then searched for Level 2 ICT which led me to MI Skills.

My ICT tutor, Azzad Ahmed, supported me through the Level 2 and encouraged me onto a Level 3 Computer Engineering course which I have now almost completed. I also did English at Level 2 and was given the opportunity to work on the Lambeth Adult Learning newsletter.

Azzad and my other tutor, Muhammad, suggested I apply for a volunteering position as a way into teaching which I did. Since August 2020, I have delivered inductions to new learners at MI Skills, supported ICT tutors to set up their classrooms to ensure that we are Covid-safe, supported staff with ICT issues and helped tutors to ensure online classes can take place. I also help out at reception, contacting learners, updating information on booking system and supporting with general enquiries.

I appreciate all the support from the team at MI. It is a comfortable environment, everyone has been welcoming and it is a safe place to learn and work. Volunteering at MI is helping me to move closer to my long-term goal to become a full-time teacher by giving me the experience that I am currently having.

Do you want to study with us?

We believe that it’s important for people to be kind to themselves and try to make the time to do things that are educational, rewarding and fun. Especially after going through a challenging time.

Morley in the Community offers a wide range of FREE** courses in community venues across Lambeth and at our Waterloo and Stockwell centres.