Mini interview with Advanced Piano Performers students

David Evans and Hilary Taylor are the latest performers in our fantastic Lunchtime Concert Series on our Facebook Page which takes place at 1pm every Tuesday.
They performed a range of works in their piano recital showcasing the skills they had learnt on the Advanced Piano Performers Course.

We asked them a few questions about their history and experience at Morley College London:

DAVID EVANS

What is your background before you came to Morley?
I retired from a career as a hand surgeon in 2013, and enrolled that year in the Advanced Performer’s Class. Having studied the piano at school up to grade 8, I kept it up as much as my career allowed me, mainly involving accompaniment and chamber music.

How has the Advanced Piano Performers course benefited you, and for your future aspirations?
The Advanced Performers class at Morley had provided the ideal environment in which to take forward my interest in music generally and in piano performance, with superb tuition in a very encouraging group of pianists. There is much to learn not only from one’s own personal teaching, but from watching and listening to teaching of other members of the class, and in preparing for performances in class concerts.

HILARY TAYLOR

After my music degree and a couple of years of postgraduate study I found that working on my own was not giving me the satisfaction or the wider musical and pianistic experience and progress that I craved.   I was therefore very pleased to discover Morley’s advanced piano masterclasses with Gwenneth and Martino around the time I began teaching piano full time in schools and privately. 

Morley is a wonderfully supportive and friendly environment where my piano playing has been encouraged to flourish and develop over many years, exploring a wide range of repertoire with superb insight and guidance from Gwenneth.   The opportunities for performance and learning from other students’ playing constantly refresh and support my own teaching and enjoyment of the piano. Being part of this class is the most enriching experience in my life and I hope to continue my learning for many more years.

From Bepop to Piano Technique to our BA Music course and more, choose your Piano course at Morley this Autumn and start your musical journey.