We’re bringing you even more amazing makers in another Support Sunday! Supporting and promoting independent and small businesses is so important to us, and in this series we will be giving you a deeper insight into their their practice and their amazing work!

Meet our first artist, @fluxandflare. Creating handcrafted resin jewellery and decor. All natural soy and essential oil wood wick candles. :

What is your process for creating your work, tell us a bit more about how you go from idea to final piece
Before I start I think about what type of resin piece I want to make-earrings, necklaces, etc., what colours I will use or if I want to embed flowers or objects in the resin. Then I get all my supplies laid out ready to create. Sometimes I improvise or change my mind along the way. After the resin is set I need to add the jewellery fittings, I generally wait to have quite a few items ready and then spend the time doing a batch of earrings or a batch of necklaces.

What’s your set up at home, are you able to remain creative?
I work in our study, my supplies are in there, and I can shut the door, open the window and work on the large coffee table. There’s good light and a stellar view out the window.

What are you tips for remaining creative and promoting your business during lockdown?
I’ve had more time during lockdown so that’s given me more opportunity to be creative. I’m trying to get involved in various virtual markets and network with other creative’s to promote my business.

What are you plans for the future and have you got anything exciting coming up for us to look out for?
I am expanding into making resin decor items such as coasters and paperweights. I’m also starting to work with bio sourced resin because being environmentally conscious is really important to me.

Discover more from this artist on their Instagram or on their Website

Next up, @meonthemap. Creators of typographic South London street and borough maps – personalised to highlight where you live.:

I create hand lettered street and borough maps of South London. ‘Me On The Map’ combines my passion for drawing, typography and London living to create maps that others can connect with as ‘home’, as the maps can be personalised to show where you live.

The street maps feature every road and green space in an area, and keep to the correct proportions of a traditional street map. The original maps are pretty time consuming, so it’s a bit of a labour of love. I think I’ve drawn over 2000 roads so far.

The hand drawn versions are originally created using pen and paper and can be done wherever I choose, on a train, in a garden, anywhere. I have a small home studio where I put together the final digital versions of the maps, using a Mac and tablet. The maps are all produced as high quality giclée prints and can be framed on request.

It’s always interesting to see where my work’s been seen. I try and use Facebook, Instagram and Twitter 1-2 times a week each and tailor content to each platform. I get customers who’ve seen the maps from all of them. I spend as much time, if not more, promoting my work at the moment. Local area Facebook groups have been a good way to promote the maps, as they are hyper-local. Supporting other events and promoting other businesses has been a good way to be seen more widely, and is often more successful than ‘sales-y’ posts.

I’m planning on extending the street maps into more areas of South London, like Camberwell, and Beckenham and completing all the South London Borough Maps. Eventually I’ll get north of the river!

Finally, @victoriaceramics. Colourful handmade ceramics.
From Buenos Aires, based in Manchester:

I have some sketches, but I tend to improvise a lot. I sit with some shapes in my mind and start making from there, most of the time, I end up where the clay lets me! With decoration is the same, I know I want to work with vibrant colours and patterns, and then I let the shape suggest the rest. 

I was working from home before the lockdown, so it hasn’t been such a change, though it was hard sometimes when you just felt like you need to see something different, meet up with a friend, go to a museum, etc. I tried to stay active and take advantage of the internet!

I think it’s vital to find a connection between making and promoting. For example, it’s good to share the making process on Instagram, people seemed very interested and inspired. Also, the other makers and marketeers were always trying to help each other out in this hard time, it felt like a community.

I’m doing a shop update this weekend! It’s the last one before I launch the new collection in a few months. I’m very excited about it and I can’t wait to share it with you. Stay tuned!

Come back next week as we share even more artists and their practices