We’re bringing you even more amazing makers in our second Support Sunday! Supporting and promoting independent and small businesses is so important to us, and in this series we will be giving you a deeper insight into their their practice and their amazing work!

Meet our first artist, @halojewelleryuk. Boutique store selling jewellery thats beautiful and meaningful:

What is your process for creating your work, tell us a bit more about how you go from idea to final piece
I come up with an idea and then do several rough sketches. Each sketch is usually a variation on a theme e.g different shape, orientation etc. From these rough sketches, I create one final sketch, document materials, size etc and make a prototype.  Depending on various factors e.g  visual appeal, material cost, time to make, suitability for a range etc. I either include in my product list, or reject it.

What’s your set up at home, are you able to remain creative?
My entire setup is in one spare bedroom.  I have a desk with a computer where I do website maintenance, blogging etc.  I have a workbench near a window with pickling, polishing and cutting tools, shelves  and an  enamelling kiln near it.  Near another window I have my photography setup. And finally I have a wooden ottoman which is used for setting up virtual market stalls for virtual markets.

Have you got any tips for remaining creative and promoting your business during lockdown?
During lockdown I have spent most of my time defining and refining my ranges, maintaining my website and blog, adding products to my shop, improving my photography etc.  My business is very new, so I could use the quiet time well to develop my business.

What are you plans for the future and have you got anything exciting coming up for us to look out for?
My plans are to start donating 50% of any annual profits to charities that support the learning and education of disadvantaged women and girls.  I am currently planning for Christmas and getting ready to launch a new set of products around November, introducing personalised stamped jewellery and gemstone jewellery.

Discover more from this artist on their Instagram or on their Website

Next up, @katiewalkerillustration. Illustrator/Designer based in Brighton:

Currently the way I’m working its by sketching out an idea with pencil and paper, (which I find helps ideas to flow much easier) then when I’m fairly happy with the sketch I take a quick picture of it and start to draw it up properly on my iPad.

Sometimes I will draw up textures and other bits by hand and scan them in and then collage them in to the artwork, but at the moment I am finding a lot of the work I am creating is digital using the program Pro create which is great for making hand drawn digital artwork.

My ideas can come from anywhere, maybe a conversation with a friend, going for walks or browsing through Pinterest and instagram. After I have gone through the above process I will do a test print to make sure I’m happy with it off the screen and then its done! Off to be posted online for people to see.

I have been working from home for a few years now. I really wish I could say I have a wonderful studio with artwork everywhere (and that is definitely the dream for the future) but currently I work on a smallish desk in my bed room, surrounded by pigeons cooing (very loudly) and I often use my bed as a bit of extra office space when I’m organise where prints are going when they sell. However it is a productive space and I have spent many, many hours here drawing and creating artwork. I’m hoping to expand my working area in the new year and move away from the constant cooing!

To keep creative I usually go for a walk in the morning so I feel fresh and ready for a day of working, I also find doing research is really helpful, looking at artists you admire and different themes you would like to know more about, I am enjoying looking at folk art currently!

I would say keeping a little bit active is good, just taking a walk can really help, get in to nature! Find something that inspires you, maybe it’s a style of artwork or a period in history or some text. Keep researching and moving forward and try do to a little bit of drawing each day, although saying that I do take weekends off. And if you get stuck in a rut that’s ok! Its hard to be creative everyday! Try small projects first and see how you go if you are really struggling.

I am currently working on building my portfolio up, drawing different animals, characters, people and whatever else is inspiring! I usually add the strongest portfolio pieces to Etsy and Instagram so you will see some new bits there! I also have a few commissions coming up, portraits, a picture book project and anything else that comes my way.

Finally, @tipperleyhill. 2 Artists, Roz and Abi, besties painting together on every piece:

We are two artists (Roz and Abi) who both create everything we do. When we paint our larger canvases, we paint on them at the same time; Abi is right handed and I am left handed!! Often we paint on multiple smaller pieces and swap from one to the other to build up the layers and textures. It’s a bit like art consequences if you ever played that when you were little!

We both need to have a creative outlet and miss it if we don’t paint for a few days, however we live in different cities. I live in London and Abi lives in Leicester. Our kitchens are where we work, it’s not ideal, but it fits in with family life!

What are you tips for remaining creative and promoting your business during lockdown?
Find someone to pair up with and cheer each other on. If you make plans it’s easy to let things slide and not cross off your ‘to do’ list. Tell that other person what you need to do and they to you and then check in in a couple of weeks to see if it’s been done. It’s really motivating and forces you not to procrastinate.

The way forward for promoting your business is through video. I hated doing it to start with, but it creates trust and tells your story. Our friend (actor and broadcaster) @the_carrie_diaries has given us some great pointers about how to be in front of the camera and we are putting a competition together where 3 different artists can all win 2 hours of her time to create 1 fantastic interview telling insta all about who they are and their process. Artists on the whole don’t like the limelight, and just want to create, but video has become an integral part of selling our work.

We plan to do more Instagram lives and chats with other artists. In person markets are happening more often now, so we are excited to do more of those. We’ve missed meeting and chatting to people. We hope the bigger Art Fairs will start happening again and are going to do Roy’s Art Fair at Bargehouse in Oxo Tower Wharf in March. It’s such a fab show to do as it’s organised by artists for artists. They really get what we need and are so supportive. Every week there in an opportunity to meet the other exhibitors and ask the organisers any questions. Abi and I are also are planning our own show where we have handpicked some artists that are all about colour. During these COVID times and potentially staying in more, we need happy colour in our homes, especially when we are often staring at the walls!

Come back next week as we share even more artists and their practices