Margaret Nankya’s Student Bursary Story

“I have come far with Morley. I thank them so much for helping me in a new life, taking care of me and giving me skills. There is no old, no young at Morley, everyone has value. Thank you so much.”

Morley student Margaret is an East African woman in her late-fifties who last year gained indefinite leave to remain after twelve years in the UK as an asylum seeker. She was originally referred to Morley five years ago by her key worker at Crisis and there was close liaison with them over her enrolment and support. Margaret is under the care of her local Community Psychiatric Team for trauma and severe depression.

Please help us raise much needed funds for future students by donating via our JustGiving page.

Margaret enrolled on a Pattern Cutting course and then on a Hat Making class in her first year at Morley, both funded by Crisis. The following year Crisis was unable to continue supporting Margaret financially, so Adult Learning Services helped her apply for a College Bursary and she studied Felt making for a day a week. In her third year at Morley, Margaret went on to receive further financial support through the Morley Bursary Fund which allowed her to do two further Hat Making courses. As a result of her studies at Morley, Margaret progressed to a year-long Level 2 Hat Making Course at an FE College in 2018/2019. This year she returned to Morley and has been supported on an advanced Hat Making course through the Bursary fund once more.

The Bursary Fund has been key in Margaret’s life. It has enabled her to study while her status was unresolved and she was ‘waiting to hear’. This gave her a sense of purpose and hope through the long years when she fought to gain indefinite leave to remain. It supported her struggle with enduring mental health difficulties.

You can donate to help students like Margaret today by visiting our JustGiving page.

“Studying at Morley gave me a sense of purpose and hope through the long years fighting to gain indefinite leave to remain. It has supported me in my on-going struggle my mental health”

Margaret aspires to work in the fashion industry. She has completed a short period of work experience at the Royal Opera House in the Costume Department. She would like to continue studying Hat Making at Level 3 at the Morley College in 2020/2021.